1. Are my expectations realistic?
This is the single most important question you must ask yourself. As a general rule, always do extensive research before committing to any treatment that will alter your appearance and make sure you understand the limitations of the procedure you wish to have done.
Botox injections generally only last 3 to 6 months, and can only be used to treat dynamic wrinkles, which are wrinkles that are caused the movement of muscles in the face, such as your frown lines and lines around your eyes.
If after your consultation you’re still unsure of your potential results from Botox, do an internet search to investigate other’s experiences.
2. How could this procedure affect my life?
While the other questions on this list deal with the negativity and realities of receiving Botox treatment, this question is a chance for you to consider the benefits.
Put simply, what do you have to gain from this procedure? Consider how a more youthful appearance would make you feel, and would you be happier when you look in the mirror? Do people ask you why you always look cross even when you are not?
3. Is this procedure worth the risk of potential side effects?
This is a question that a patient must ask themselves before taking any medication or undergoing any medical treatment, including those intended for cosmetic purposes. The most common side effects are only superficial and occur directly around the injection site…Side effects are not only related to the product injected but also due to practitioner experience.
- You will most likely experience some temporary redness, swelling, like an insect bite, or possible bleeding, pain however is very minimal with correct injection technique.
- Be aware that headaches, weakness of affected muscles, and brief reactions related to the eyes directly after treatment have also been reported.
Although rare, there are several more serious possible reactions…
- Since Botox is produced from a toxic protein, it is possible for this toxin to spread to other parts of the body and trigger a life-threatening response. However this is more likely with the higher doses used to treat muscle spasticity.
- Note that there are additional possible side effects if you have Botox administered for non-cosmetic purposes, such as treatment for an over-active bladder or excessive sweating.
4. What if the results fall short of my expectations?
Even if you approach the situation with realistic expectations, there is always the possibility that the results will not be quite as drastic as you desire.
This could be due to a number of reasons:-
- Poor practitioner technique.
- Unrealistic patient expectations
The severity of the affected area which may well require more than one treatment.
5. Will I be able to handle the maintenance of Botox injections?
I now consider my Botox injections as part of my beauty routine, no different from getting your highlights or nails done! You will need to commit to having treatments every three to four months has if wish to maintain your results. This is sometimes considered a blessing in disguise, because if you decide you’re unhappy with your results, you merely have to wait for them to wear off.